As I was mulling over what to post today, I started with genre: "Jazz." Well, that word leads directly to my favorite jazz album of all time, "Kind of Blue". To get a sense of why this is on so many peoples' list of best jazz ever, all you have to do is look at the composition of the group:
- Miles Davis – trumpet
- Julian "Cannonball" Adderley – alto saxophone (except on "Blue in Green")
- John Coltrane – tenor saxophone
- Bill Evans – piano (except on "Freddie Freeloader")
- Wynton Kelly – piano (on "Freddie Freeloader")
- Paul Chambers – double bass
- Jimmy Cobb – drums
The album's influence goes far beyond jazz. One musician said of this album, "it's like the Bible -- you just have one in your house."
Blue in Green, this morning's selection, is about as sweet as it gets. Yum.